Hiz & Herz utilizes a barcode system to allow for a fast check-out experience and to provide an accurate account of your sales. Each consignor is issued a unique barcode tied to their ID number, upon registration. Your barcode must be on all of your tags.
How to Create Tags
We allow two methods for creating price tags - print at home or receive barcode labels via USPS. Our recommended method is using our template to print at home. During registration, please select which method you will use. All tags will be inspected during your drop off appointment. Any items that are improperly tagged will have to be redone on your time. NOTE - Tags may also be handwritten - see example. USE GOOD PENMANSHIP! Please email us with any questions.
Please be as specific as possible in case your tag gets separated from your item. This could aid in pairing them back together and ensuring you get your money for the item. Instead of "Men's Black Athletic Shorts" it should be "Men's black Under Armour athletic shorts with silver logo". Customers want to know what is in a bag. Instead of "Bag of Hair Bows" it should be "Bag of Hair Accessories - Contains 6 headbands, 2 clips, 4 tie backs".
SEE Tag Examples Below
ND - No Discount
This is optional. If you choose to put ND in the bottom right corner of the tag, the item will not be discounted at the 1/2 Price Sale.
There is a $2 minimum on every item. Pair like items if necessary to meet price minimum. Please note, items priced too high may be turned away at drop-off. All items must be sold in $1.00 increments (i.e. $2.00, $4.00, $10.00, etc.)
Handwritten Tag Example
- Wire Hangers ONLY - ABSOLUTELY NO PLASTIC HANGERS or Cardboard on wire hangers
- 3x5 white index cards -OR- 65lb minimum white cardstock
- Safety pins at least 1 inch in size (NO straight pins or small gold safety pins)
- Blue or Black Pen or Marker if doing tags by hand
- Plastic zip-lock baggies (for items with small parts)
- Packing tape (for attaching tags to home goods, books etc.)
- Zip-ties, string or ribbon (to tie shoes together)
ADDITIONAL PLACES TO PURCHASE SUPPLIES
Wire Hangers: Amazon and Dry Cleaner Supply Vendors on-line
Safety pins: Amazon, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, etc.
How to Attach Tags
All clothing must be on wire hangers. The hanger hook should point to the left, and the tag should be safety pinned on the right shoulder when facing the item. Wire hangers with "tubes" are NOT ALLOWED as they take up too much space on our racks. See our video ("Tagging Clothing") lower on this page for a hack to use packing tape on hangers for better securing larger pants, skirts and items with smaller straps/sleeves that are likely to slide off the hanger.
Pin sets securely together by hanging the shirt first, then turning the hanger over, and pinning the pants by the waist to the backside of the hanger, using two pins, with the pin catching the hanger to support the pants. Both pieces can be viewed without unpinning them, and this prevents lost items.
On larger clothing items, such as dresses, please secure them with safety pins if they have a tendency to fall off the hanger. Your items won't sell if they're on the floor.
Pants or shorts sold alone should be pinned at the waist by folding the waist over the hanger. Please watch the video demonstration and pictures (coming soon) and contact us if you have any questions.
Shoes: Please secure shoes together with a zip tie or place in a ziploc bag with the tag taped to the OUTSIDE of the bag and with the bag taped at the top to ensure that your items stay together. Shoes that are zip tied tend to sell better as customers can try them on. Please do not bring shoes packaged in boxes.
Large Items: Please make sure the price tag is securely attached to your item. Packing tape or pinning the tag through ribbon and attaching are the best options. Use packing tape OVER AN OPEN BOX to display or package. Customers want to see what they are buying. If you have a patio umbrella or a light fixture it should be taken out of the box (keep box with it) so that you can "see" the item. Often things that cannot be "seen" are not purchased.
Items with small parts or multiple pieces: Small parts should be contained in a ziploc bag and attached securely to a larger item to ensure no missing parts. Items with multiple pieces should be connected in some way with either zip tie or tape. In any case, label 2 tags similarly - with one tag showing "1 of 2" with the other showing "2 of 2" (or 1 of 3, etc.). See example of these tags below.
Books and Videos: Please do not use packing tape on books and videos, since it usually tears the cover. Make sure that videos work, and secure tag with two pieces of scotch tape, or put in ziploc bags. If packaging multiples together in bags, please write all titles on the tag.
Assembly Required: Items that require assembly must be assembled on-site or prior to drop-off. Please make sure we know how to disassemble so we may let any potential buyer know. Make sure to bring any tools you may require for assembly.
Additional Instructions: Anything put into a ziploc bag must have the tag taped to the outside of the bag, and the bag taped shut, this will ensure that your items are not separated. Our scanners cannot always read tags through bags and items are less visible to customers.
When in Doubt, ASK! Feel free to email us with any questions.
Tips and Tricks for Preparing your Items for the Sale:
- Plan for a longer check-in time as we will be more selective.
- All items must be priced at $2 or higher.
- Only current clothing styles and trends will be accepted.
- If you wouldn't buy it - don't bring it.
- We will not accept free/promotional items.
- We will NOT accept items with stains, rips, or tears under any circumstances.
- We will NOT accept toys/games/puzzles/home goods with broken or missing parts or pieces.
- As a general rule, Consignors may put out a MAXIMUM of 3 of ANY EXACT SAME ITEM. Multiples of clothing items limited to a maximum of 3 per size.
- If you can’t read your barcode (faded) neither can our scanners.
- Tags with anything crossed-out must be recreated.
- Tags must be created on Index Cards or Card Stock only. No paper tags.
- No small safety pins. Only safety pins one inch and larger may be used.
- Clothing MUST BE FRESH - if your items have any unpleasant odor they will not be accepted. Clothing Items not pinned correctly at check-in will not be accepted and will be your responsibility to “fix”, prior to check-in.
- Questions about pricing? We suggest pricing an item based on what you would be willing to pay.
- When using zip ties - reinforce tag with packing tape for added strength.
- No Tag, No Price, No Barcode, No Sale. Items without a tag, price or barcode will not be sold.